[NSRCA-discussion] Why are fire engines red? Was Slide Rules....was Art Wagner

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Tue Oct 14 07:41:15 AKDT 2008

Finally I understand why the I-P system is based on 12.  I still prefer the metric system because we usually have 10 fingers.

--
Vicente "Vince" Bortone

From: James Oddino <joddino at socal.rr.com>
Fire engines are red because they have 8 wheels and 4 people ride in them. 8 and 4 is 12. Twelve inches is a foot. A foot is a ruler. Queen Elizabeth was a ruler. Queen Elizabeth was  a ship that sailed the seas. Fish swim in the sea. Fish have fins. The Finns faught the Russians. The Russians are reds. Fire engines are always rushin', so they must be red.

I think I paid $26 for my high end slide rule in 1951.  I wouldn't buy a calculator until they got down to $100 and that turned out to be a TI.  But the the best and the one I still have is the HP 15C and yes it had RPN.  I'm thinking of buying the app for it for my iPhone, but I'm having a hard time trying to justify it as I don't do much with complex numbers anymore.

Jim