[NSRCA-discussion] Engine tuning info

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 18:29:13 AKST 2008

Dug up some old notes
..

Engine                          Exhaust    Intake

OS140RX

154

124

KB150

147

107

ST2300

150

116

Bully145

150

106

Webra160

142

107

Mintor140

140

120

Mintor170

150

110

If anyone has access to volumes of engine data generated by Clarence Lee,
crankcase timing for many of the above engines could probably be found.

In general –

- high exhaust port timing increase power and raises RPM of peak torque.

- high exhaust timing allows bigger power increases from a pipe.

- longer overlap allows more effect from the pipe (power, pipe jump,
midrange mixture, etc).

- given constant RPM and no other changes (compression, glow plug, etc),
lowering the exhaust timing will “want” the pipe shortened.

- lengthening the pipe (within a range) will increase torque, and lean the
midrange mixture.

And there is so much more to get the “perfect” tune on a 2C.

Most pattern timed engines will have a “window” (blowdown?) in which
exhaust, intake, and crankcase ports are all open – during that window, the
pipe can be very powerful as a negative pressure pulse from the pipe will
not only scavenge exhaust gases from the combustion chamber, but pull fresh
fuel/air mixture the length of the intake path.  I never documented
blowdown, but I think it was typically around 10 degrees.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

DaveL322 at comcast.net

  _____