[NSRCA-discussion] Engine tuning info

Karl G. Mueller kgamueller at rogers.com
Thu Nov 6 15:22:23 AKST 2008

John,

Most of the 2C sport engines to be used with a muffler are timed
at about 145-148º exhaust down time.
On most of the .60 to 1.60 size, to get the benefit of the supercharging
effect from the pipe, I increase the exhaust downtime to 155-158º, without
changing the intake timing, except for some directional porting for better
scavenging effect. This all will not decrease a reliable idle.
I believe that the pylon engines are ported to 170º exhaust down time and
on those you are not looking for a reliable low idle.
Never tried any work on 4 strokes. To get any benefit from a pipe on those
you would have to have overlapping valve timing, which none of our model
4 stroke engines have.

Regards,

Karl G. Mueller
kgamueller at rogers.com