[NSRCA-discussion] Visual wings level indicator?

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 1 12:53:39 AKDT 2008

I will never be mistaken for a world class pattern flyer. There are many reasons for that, but the two bigggies are as follows;

1. I have three left thumbs, four of which are retarded. Other than questionable math skills, practice will help me with this one to a degree.

2. After a Lasik surgery that went terribly wrong and several return visits to the eye doctor, I just don't see very well, and practice doesn't seem to be helping that.

My biggest problem is telling when I am wings level at altitude just before I enter a maneuver. I find myself practicing little work arounds like dropping my inside wing then rolling back to what I think should be wings level. In the end I enter and exit a LOT of maneuvers without my wings level.

I was wondering if there was something I could do with the color scheme of my new airplane to help me determine when the wings were level or very close to it. What I was thinking was some kind of high vis, or low vis (as long as there is contrast) shape on the wing tip. In my mind I see a concept like lining up the sights of a rifle where when the wings were level from the ground view I would see a solid color or a certain amount of a high vis color that lets me know that my wings are level.

I know there are a ton of variables like altitude, light levels, heading, etc, but having an additional clue that would be visible at "normal" pattern altitude would be great. Something I can get used to seeing that would let me know I am just about there.

Has anyone ever experimented with something like this before? What are the best colors and shapes to use? Is the whole idea a waste of time? All thoughts are welcome.

Thanks for your input.
Anthony