[NSRCA-discussion] R/C design software?

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sat May 31 04:05:29 AKDT 2008

Way back when I was producing Miss Martha kits, ALL of the ribs were sanded using a table sander with the belt vertical. I had a jig that held the stacked wood, and there was a guide on the table of the sander that the jig slid up to. I typically made 50 sets of ribs at once this way. Obviously, this only works with a constant chord wing where all the ribs are the same size.

Needless to say, I took the sander outside when I did this. I ended up with a huge pile of balsa dust on the ground after I was done. After the ribs were sanded to shape, I then used a jig on the bandsaw to notch for spars.

I still have all the jigs. I've been thinking of building a couple of Marthas.

Bob R