[NSRCA-discussion] R/C design software?

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Fri May 30 12:21:25 AKDT 2008

On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:52:08 +0000
JEREMY CHINN <lagrue at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Tom, I've been designing for too many years. Started with graphite and
> velum just like you did.
>
> When I made the switch to CAD, I began using TurboCad and have used it
> ever since.
>
> For Airfoils, I use a French program called Tracfoil. I never had the
> $'s to try compufoil, and Profili was always horrible IMO. Tracfoil
> has a free trial period with all the bells/whistles working and its
> cheap.
>
> Since I began using TurboCad and Tracfoil, I've designed approximately
> a dozen airframes per year with them.
>
> BTW, I've also been designing profiles for a while, if you need any
> assistance with that, let me know.
>
> My own current design project (at least the one that is under
> construction) is my first 2m pattern plane.......... I used Tracfoil
> for the airfoils and Turbocad to draw the airframe.

That's great information Jeremy and a very generous offer!  You're
very modest about your profiles :)  I'm just noodling around right now,
but I was pretty surprised how crude the fuselage truss designs are on
some of the most popular profiles.  That thought led to some aerodynamic
musings and now the full on descent to madness...

By the way, when you're prototyping or doing limited kit runs, what
method have you found to be most efficient for cranking out say 5-15
sets of ribs or other complex balsa pattern?

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com