[NSRCA-discussion] Pin holes under clear??

Dean Funk deanfunk1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 12:59:54 AKDT 2008

Hey Mark,

We have been using BVM pin hole filler - you can get
it at central or BVM. It's simple to use -

wet sand 100 grit - and scuff the canopy with a grey
3m pad, Prep clean with 5-star or the PPG product and
tape your paint line -then you spread a thick coat of
the BVM over the carbon canopy area your about to
prime or clear, wait and hour and then buff it off
with a clean towel - then go straight to paint. On the
planes I just finished, I didn't use primer under the
painted areas - white DCC does an amazing job covering
over the black carbon, just make sure you scuff it
well. After you finished the color areas and you ready
to clear the natural carbon. repeat the steps with the
prep cleaner and apply the BVM product over the
natural carbon area - after an hour buff that off and
go straight to clear.

Before you clear you can fill any pinholes in the
color painted areas with a small detail brush, mix a
small batch of the DCC color without reducer - and
with the brush "spot" a micro dot of paint into the
pinhole - filling the pinhole with paint - after it
cures you can wet sand that smooth and then clear.

If your really bugged by pin holes in the "natural"
carbon areas you can do a two- stage clear - using the
first stage of clear as an additional filler stage -
shot a slightly heavier coat of clear first - wetsand
that with 1000 grit - filling lots of those micro
pinholes then shot a finish coat of clear - should get
most of them.

also sometimes the BVM filler which is white -  might
leave big white blotches in the natural carbon area
from the pinholes it filled - if you do a two stage
clear on the canopy mix a small batch of DCC black and
with that detail brush, "spot" in small micro dots of
black to cover over those white "filled pinholes"

On my personal plane that I am painting right now, I
am going to use the DBC 500 intercoat clear to do the
2-stage trick on the canopy. I am also going to be
doing some detail airbrushing over the natual carbon
area and I think the DBC 500 might be perfect for
tricking out those cool carbon canopies.

Good luck finishing those babies! I just did two and I
am about to shoot the color on the 3rd. yea lot's of
late nights SANDING !!!!!

can't wait to see them, Dean