[NSRCA-discussion] Pin holes under clear??

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Fri May 23 12:21:13 AKDT 2008

As I¹m sure a few people are aware, I¹m trying to finish up a gaggle of
Black Magic VF3¹s for the summer and I have a question.   I¹m in the
painting process (do you have any idea how much wet sanding is involved to
primer/fill/sand/primer/fill/sand... 3 airplanes?? ) anyway... My question
is specific to the Carbon Fiber canopy.  I¹d like to leave most of the
canopy al natural.    But I do want to paint some of it, (or else it¹ll look
a little too square) and want to clear coat the entire thing.

The problem, pinholes in the carbon.  No dissing of Mike¹s work, the
canopies are nicely done.  But they¹re extremely light, and there fore have
their fair share of micro pin holes which will show up horribly if I just
clear coat them.  But I can¹t really lather them up with primer either.
Even if I sand it completely off, I would think you¹d be left with a white
or grey spotted carbon.

How are people filling the pinholes in the carbon and still leaving a
natural all black carbon finish??

Any help would be appreciated!

-Mark
PS. Same goes for the wheel pants!