[NSRCA-discussion] Starters for YS in Canada

Tim Taylor timsautopro at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 06:31:37 AKDT 2008

I'm using the Hanger 9 starter and I went to Lowe's and bought the 18v battery and charger for the Firestorm series of tools. I made a wood adapter to hold the battery and made it slide in/out for charging. I also think  buying the flashlight in that tools series might be eaiser. The Battery with charger was $29 and the flashlight is on sale for $9. You cut the top off the flashlight down next to the base and mount it to the starter. So far mine spins the 1.60 faster than anything I've used. It lasts about a month on a single charge. They do have a bigger pack rated at 40% more run time but it's near $100 with the charger.

   http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=133943-79992-FS18SBX&lpage=none

  Thats the extended battery pack. They don't list the one I have on line but the idea is eacatly the same.

  Tim

            Hi all

  I tried to start my DZ with a regular, non-geared 12V Sullivan starter yesterday...no joy.

  I know guys are running geared staters from B&P and PAM, but I can't find starters like those in Canada.

  My options at the LHS are KAVAN and Sullivan Dynatron.

  The KAVAN is really compact...but can it turn over a 170? And the Dynatron....I guess I can use it in the weight room after flying.

  Can you advise which is more commonly used and functions better?

  Of course if there are other options the Canadians can chime in.

  Thanks much
  Colin.