[NSRCA-discussion] JR 10X Programming

chris moon cjm767driver at hotmail.com
Tue May 6 05:07:49 AKDT 2008

Troy:

Thank you very much for taking the time to walk me through this!  I
will set this up today and try it out.

Chris

PS-  I got to meet and spend some time with your Father in law last
weekend at the Winston Salem contest.  How many of us are lucky enough
to have a Father in law that flies pattern???? Awesome

Troy Newman wrote:

  Chris,

  Ok this is the way to solve that...VTR is
a Lin-Lin function as you stated.

  Instead turn on your normal expo like you
want it on your low rate like you want it.

  Next go to program mixing on Pmix 6, 7 or
8 these are the mixes that are available for curve mixing. We are going
to create a curve mix that activates at about 90% stick travel to mix
rudd to rudd. This way we can create any kind of expo curve we want.
Its a custom one. It will be dependant on what ever curves you already
have setup...so lets use the radios expo function for the center part
and create a new curve at the ends...by adding more travel via a
mix...when can do this on a curve that we select the points on.

  At Program Mix 6-7-8

  The screen will say INH

  Press 4 and 4

  This will bring up Rudd->Rudd

  The next thing on the screen will pop up
as type "Norm" press select to get it to read "CURV"

  Next press enter.

  This will bring up a mixing screen that
shows only one point on the curve in the middle. Also on that screen
will say EXP "OFF" Press sel to turn the expo function for the curve
mixing "on". This will make a smooth transition between points. The
horizontal line will be at zero value. This zero value means use the
current expo values and slopes.

  You are mixing rudder to rudder so any
time there is a zero value there is no change to the current rudder and
expo curve. Ignore the mix values for now and press page. It will
bring up your switch selection screen. You can pick like FM2 to have
the mix on or off. or the gear switch or something like that. You can
even set it up to only work when the engine is below a certain throttle
setting. Lots of ways to activate this mix....we will talk about why
you might need those options a little later. For now pick a switch.
Press the "SEL" under the switch of choice and it will toggle to POS1
of the mix.

  Press
page again...under MASTER it will say "NORM" we want it to say "ORIG".
This means that the curve will be dependant on the rudder stick only
and not anything to do with rudder rates. Its like what I described to
Ed. Leave the trim function "OFF" If you leave it as normal then you
will have to reach the rudder rate value before the curve kicks in...So
if your low rate never gets to the 90% travel of the servo the mix will
never kick in...so setting at ORIG will make it totally dependant on
the rudder stick position and not the rudders servo position.

  Press
page again and it will take you back to the mixing value screen. Pretty
easy you are now all setup to put the mix values in and setup a curve.

  Flip
your switch you chose until just under #RUDD is says "POS1" Then follow
these steps below to setup a curve.

  Move the rudder stick to one side left or
right. The closest point you can make is about 88% and about 12% on the
other side. Hold the rudder stick over to the 87-88% point and press
store. This will give you a point on the curve at the 88% value. Do the
same thing at the 12%-13% value. Now your curve will have 3 points.
marked 1-2-3. Between points 1 and point 3 don't make any changes leave
that at zero mix. This way your rudder expo and so on stays the
same..in the middle where you fly.

  Move the rudder stick to the stops left
and increase the mix value to say +30%....this will take your normal
rudder rate at full deflection (in your case low rate) and increase it
by 30%. This will put you to high rate when you hit the last 10% of the
stick travel. Since you picked to have the exp function for curve
mixing turned on the transition from your normal expo to the higher
rate will be smooth and ramp up rather than go straight line to the 30%
value.

  Your value maybe 10% or 20% higher rather
than 30% higher. Or it could be even more like 40-50% higher. Watch
your model and see what is going on so you don't over drive your servo.
  Also of note...any rate you set in the
D/R screen will get the extra 30% added to it at the end when this mix
is ON...So this is fine if you are on low rate at 70%...but when the
stick hits full deflection it will jump up to 100% travel. The problem
is this....If you high rate is already at 100% it will get another 30%
added to it.....it will go to 130% and might over drive the servo

  There is a solution to this below but
make sure you are not over traveling your servos until we are done
setting it up.

  DO the same for the other side too. Now
the last 10% of the stick travel sends you via a curve mix to a new
rudder D/R

  With flight modes this is easy. You can
have it active in one flight mode and not another....Since flight modes
can have independent rates...you can have your high rate with this mix
turned off or you can adjust the value of your high rate back and leave
the mix on and make sure its not over driving the linkage.

  Notice the POS 0 or POS 1 values you can
create two of these little curves. One could be zero mix everywhere or
one could be a smaller amount of mix and the other a higher number.

  Always keep the middle values on the
curve at zero. And always make sure to not over drive the servos.

  You now have a rudd to rudder mix setup
to give you normal expo in the middle and steeper curve that you set
the endpoint on at the end. Always realize you are adding that 30% or
what ever your number is to the already programmed D/R.....In this way
you can create custom expo curves and inflections points where you want
them.

  By the way the 10X has 3 curve type mixes
each with 2 different mixing curves. SO you can do this same thing to
all 3 primary flight controls. When you have dual elevator servos on
and do it to elevator they will work together, when flapperon is on for
ailerons they will still work together.

  next thing is doing funny stuff with turn
this on and off. My guess is you want it for stall turns. So set it up
on the Thro stick as the switch and program the point on the throttle
stick where is swaps from position 0 and Position 1 in the mix. Then
you can also have it on a FM to turn it off so that when you are trying
to do your 45 down snaps...the mix is off and you are not getting this
maxed out rudder throw.

  Really it took me about 2 mins to setup
and 10mins to write it step by step. Its super easy...just turn on the
radio on and turn on you Plane and you will see how it works...its
really easy.

  This same idea could be used to create a
low rate...or different expo curves...and since you have two different
curves for each mix you can have one for high throttle, one for low
throttle, one for FM1 and one for all other FM's

  This is an extremely powerful tool.

  if you have a problem with this call me
and I'll walk you through on a TX at the same time. I know I probably
totally confused you...but its so easy it stupid...You will hit your
forehead and go Duhhhh. Believe me...Its that easy.

  ....just took a page of words to explain
what you were trying to do.

  I could tell RVP how to setup his
AILEVATORS too but he doesn't want to do it that way. And I don't have
one of those radios anymore to walk through it. SO I'll stick with I
remember...Its much easier this way. Besides Ron I think is working on
his ACE MicroPro and just planning to switch to the 9Z. He heard there
was thing called PCM and since everybody else was going to 2.4 he
thought this new PCM thing had pretty much been tested well over the
last few years and worked pretty good. I think he is planning out the
transition and wanting to know if he needs a servo reversing Y harness.

  Smile Ron, I was smiling when I wrote
that...you know me. I might not have been the first one to send that
shot over your bow, but mine has happy faces on it!

  Troy Newman
  Team JR