[NSRCA-discussion] Interesting

Rex trexlesh at msn.com
Sat Mar 29 14:23:17 AKDT 2008

Oh, you can't do that...  The EPA will be all over you!  Too much particulate matter from the burner exhaust!  Now if you are
burning alcohol, not a problem...  unfortunately, Alcohol is what you are trying to produce...  It's a vicious circle
I saw a report a few years back about flying R/C using alcohol...  the report concluded that our hobby actually helped the
ozone layer.  The oils that are burning are negligible, and are mostly synthetic, so they don't hurt the environment.
Maybe the EPA employee that did the study, flies R/C...  lol

Rex

From: vicenterc at comcast.netTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgDate: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:55:01 +0000Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Interesting
We are selling wood to Europe as a fuel for biomass plants there and we are using oil and gas here.   Fuel oil and natural gas are more expensive.  After correcting for boiler efficiencies the wood cost around $5-6/MMBtu.  Fuel oil and gas is around $10-15/MMBtu.  I think we could figure this out easy....

--Vicente "Vince" Bortone

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Matthew Frederick" <mjfrederick at cox.net>

Funny stuff, Rex. My brother was a timber buyer for Weyerhauser for about 10 years before deciding to join the Jesuits, and he dealt with the same kind of ignorance all the time. One thing many people don't realize is that there are more trees on the planet now than there has ever been (thanks totally to the timber industry), and that all these "old growth" forests people always complain about cutting down really aren't doing anyone any good other than being aesthetically pleasing... old trees consume more oxygen than they produce! He told me recently on average, a tree will begin doing that after 15-20 years.

Matt