[NSRCA-discussion] FAI Judges for finals at the Nats

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 25 05:37:33 AKDT 2008

It is largely a matter of perception. All of us are not wired alike. I have
had the honor and privilege of working quite a few Nats. Emotions run very
high, even among those who are working. After all, this is the highest level
of competition many of us will ever see.

A contestant who has met his defeat reacts in one of two ways, there is no
middle ground. He either shows you what a great person he is or what a
really petty person he can be. As an official, one tries to minimize the
damage caused by the latter. Unfortunately, at on time or another we all
find ourselves in the "petty" category and say or do something we regret.

If we played the game without emotions it would not be nearly as much fun.
One of the most important tasks of the worker bees is to keep the playing
field level and the scoring system honest beyond question.

The slightest hint of dishonesty can ruin the whole program, not just the
moment!

John Ferrell    W8CCW

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing." -- Edmund Burke
http://DixieNC.US