[NSRCA-discussion] FAI Judges for finals at the Nats

JShulman jshulman at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 11:37:53 AKDT 2008

I would only suggest using semifinalists that would like to judge. Just adding to the judges pool.

1. Who says any of us are good judges? But at least the semi's pilots know what the sequence is. Not sure, but from the looks of
things in D3, there isn't going to be much F flying going on around here. So the one's who know it "best" will be the pilots that
fly it. How many pilots study/know the sequence of the class they are going to judge?
2. If there is a "known" bias for/against a finalist pilot, hopefully it would be brought to attention before the start of the
finals. Obviously we would like to assume that there are none. And I would guess, that if a pilot feels they should have made the
finals, and didn't, they aren't going to want to judge.
3. Can any of us be objective all the time? I would at least hope that we are when we are judging. It's up to the individual to
judge by the book. If that happens, then the pilot that knows the sequence has a lesser chance of the "wool being pulled over their
eyes" in the event of a wrong maneuver flown. Derek... I think they need you to judge Masters...lol.

I should clarify, I don't think we should/could use only semi's pilots as judges. Not everyone is going to want to do that. But if
there are some that would like to judge, would it not be a good thing?

Regards,
Jason
www.jasonshulman.com
www.shulmanaviation.com