[NSRCA-discussion] Looking for a Dave Scully in Ohio

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 09:55:02 AKDT 2008

Hi Karl,
I built 6 Summit II's and 1 Summit 3. Don't have any of them anymore and not
sure if any are still flying. They were great planes at the time and I
learned a whole new construction technique with them - plug-in wings.
Revolutionary back in the 80's. I got my first Summit II before Scully even
wrote out any instructions. After a lot of head scratching with a pattern
friend, I called Dave and told him how I planned to glue in the sockets and
keep everything lined up at the same time. He said that was exactly the same
thing he'd come up with and was writing into the instructions. His shop was
the first place I saw a honeycomb composite panel, carbon reinforcement, and
on and on. Anything I can think of that was new to composites or
construction techniques back then came out of his shop. Most are still in
use today.

Verne