[NSRCA-discussion] Wheels for skinny pants

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 10:39:19 AKDT 2008

 No Colin I will try to get it to you tonight. It's been crazy busy here. Mike

colin chariandy <cchariandy at yahoo.ca> wrote:    Mike

  DId you get the dim for the wheel?

  Colin

mike mueller <mups1953 at yahoo.com> wrote:
   Great point Stuart. I'll keep that in mind. It's truely amazing how much lighter you can make a plane by paying attention to every component. It really adds up. Mike

Stuart Chale <schale at optonline.net> wrote:   Just a thought on your axles if weight is an issue.  Switch to aluminum 8-32 bolts.  You will save a few grams right there and they will likely be strong enough.  I started with a steel bolt axle like you did on my pinnacle but switched over to the NMP aluminum axles.  Saved 6 or 7 grams I think.  I also switched my landing gear mounting bolts to aluminum and saved another 15 grams or so (6 bolts).  The real amazing thing is to compare the weight of a bag of 50 or so steel bolts to a bag of aluminum bolts of the same size.

Stuart

mike mueller wrote:      I drill out the axles of the MPI's to fit a nylon sleeve (I think it's a 1/4" in size) that is as long as the opening inside the wheel well. After that I put thick plastic washers on these sleeves that to add stability.The washers are about 1/2" in diameter and 1/8" thick. When everything sandwich's in it keep the wheels from wobbling around I use 8-32 stainless bolts for axles. I use a wheel pant mounting method that allows the axles to go all the way thru the wheel pants.
   http://www.rcaerobats.net/Wayne'sWheelpants.htm
   This is the best method I have ever used. By mounting this way it keeps the wheel pants from flexing in the airstream. Very solid and cheap too. I have used the NMP axles and find that they don't keep the wheel pants soild enough.
   The trick is to keep the skinny wheels from wobbling around. With the tiny axles that they come with you'll need to do something like I am.
   So far so good with this system. I had to do it because of weight problems flying Electric. Mike

colin chariandy <cchariandy at yahoo.ca> wrote:
    Mike, what mod are you applying to the skinny MPIs to improve them?

  Colin.

mike mueller <mups1953 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Hey Colin I have a pair. I'll get you the dimensions when I get home. They are really nice and very light. I still prefer the skinny MPI's with a modification. I've had great luck with them flying off of a very smooth grass field. Mike

colin chariandy <cchariandy at yahoo.ca> wrote:     Thanks Chad, those look perfect. They need to be just under 17mm wide to fit. I hope someone on the list has one to maesure.

  Colin.

Chad Northeast <chadnortheast at shaw.ca> wrote:
  MPI makes a metal hub wheel that is pretty light but a little wider than the really skinny ones that would probably fit the CARF/ZN wheelpants.  Also it has a harder rubber ring around it so the soft foam does not wear as fast.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html

Maybe someone has a set on the list and can send you the width!

Chad