[NSRCA-discussion] the joy of trimming , left rudder tuck downline pulls

Matthew Frederick mjfrederick at cox.net
Tue Mar 11 20:17:10 AKDT 2008

If you increase incidence it has the same effect on knife-edge flight as it
does on level flight, the only difference is that in knife-edge the lift
component produced by the incidence is now parallel to the ground. Let me go
back to what I pointed out previously: wing incidence trumps everything.
Yes, you may end up having a hair of down elevator to cancel out a climb,
but then again you may also find you can fly slower without having to add
the down elevator. Then when you roll knife-edge the tuck to belly is gone
and the rudder is used to maintain level flight. Bryan's reasonings are
sound even if he may not have looked deeper into why it works... His
findings are a result of empirical testing rather than classroom theory.

Matt