[NSRCA-discussion] the joy of trim

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Sun Mar 9 04:10:46 AKDT 2008

Chris et al

I received a question regarding measurement technique off list. It raised
the valid question of just how are the measurements being discussed
obtained? Here's my response.

The first issue is a reference line - just what are the variables of wing /
stab incidence / thrust line being referenced to. Some designers / kits tell
you and others don't. The variables need be referenced to something - the
actual numbers don't really matter relative to the reference (just to each
other), but a constant reference is necessary.

The second issue is a repeatable measuring method of the accuracy desired.
By repeatable, I mean getting the same exact answer to a measurement every
time that measurement is made. You're right in that many of the tools
offered in the mainstream of modeling are useless, better to use a
yardstick. Obviously, we want better precision than that offered by a
yardstick for decalage. Some measure with accurate tools from a flat surface
and calculate the angles - this works fine, but I like toys.

 I use a Macklenburg-Duncan digital level that reads to 0.1 deg. A plus is
that a level is easily checked for calibration - just rotate it 180deg on a
surface and compare readings, the digital level is easily calibrated if it's
off. To "connect" the level to the airplane I use the "Vee - blocks on
stands" system published in the K-Factor years ago by the late Erik
Hawkinson.  http://www.wtp.net/DBEST/djigs.html  For details of the process,
take a look at the Partner build document I published a few years ago.
http://pages.suddenlink.net/donramsey/

Additionally, the core module is removable from the level and light enough
to use to ensure equal center for elevators. For control travels I use the
Gator Magic Gadgets by Ivan Kristensen (no longer sold), a simple wire
pointer attached to the surface and a protractor on a post. Jerry's system
is better and a toy I probably need.

Earl