[NSRCA-discussion] Electric Pattern

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Mar 5 09:12:47 AKST 2008

John Ferrell <johnferrell at earthlink.net> wrote:     Is the following comment True or False?
  It seems that an over spec motor and speed control are only a financial mistake. Flying at reduced power levels is not a technical flaw and in fact may provide a more reliable power setup.
  John,

  That statement is true. However, "over-spec" will also undoubtedly add some weight.

  One thing I like about electrics is that you can tune the amount of power by simply changing props. The electric motor is not fussy about props the way a glow engine is. It is quite unlike glow power in that respect. With electrics, the more you load the motor down by going up in prop size, the more power you get (within the limits of the motor, ESC, batteries, etc). With a glow engine, you have to deal with the power/torque band characteristics of the engine and worry about things like air temp, humidity, altitude, etc.

  Of course, the largest electric I have owned thus far is less than 500w, but I can't imagine the parameters for a pattern plane being much different except for cost.

  Bob R.