[NSRCA-discussion] Snap entry in FAI

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Jun 30 04:22:13 AKDT 2008

When a wing stalls, it simply means the airflow detaches from the top of the wing. The air is still flowing on the bottom of the wing, the wing is still providing some lift, and the ailerons can still deflect this flow. If this was not the case, a rolling harrier would not be possible. (Shame on me for mentioning 3D flying on a precision aerobatics newslist!! :-)   )

Deflecting the aileron down will not necessarily cause the wing to stall quicker, in fact as the wing starts to move up (roll rotation) the angle of attack is actually decreased on the rising wing, and increased on the falling wing. This is how one wing panel can be stalled and not the other.

Besides, if deflecting the trailing edge down causes a wing to stall quicker, I don't think flaps would be a good idea on a landing approach.

Bob R