[NSRCA-discussion] Snap entry in FAI

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Jun 17 09:45:49 AKDT 2008

A spin entry and a snap are two different beasts.

For a spin entry, you must gradually slow the airplane down to the stall speed while maintaining straight flight. As the plane slows, you must gradually increase the angle of attack to keep the lift constant, up until the point of the stall.

For a snap, you don't have time to slow the airplane down, you must initiate the snap at well above the stall speed. Any increase in angle of attack from that which is necessary for level flight will result in a corresponding increase in lift and will cause a deviation from a straight path.

Any manuever description that states the plane must stay on a straight path during the autorotation is flawed, IMHO. The lift of the wing does not drop to zero when it stalls. In fact, at the moment of the stall, the wing is producing near maximum lift. And, keep in mind that if done properly, the snap roll only has one wing panel stalled.

I had someone shoot video of my flying, and in the video was a snap roll flown straight toward the camera. I thought it was a pretty good snap roll when I flew it. In looking at the slow motion video, it was obvious the airplane was stalled and a snap roll was performed, but it was also very obvious that the path of the plane was corkscrewed. The entry and exit were on the same heading and altitude, but parallel, and displaced by at least one wingspan. This would not have been so obvious had the plane not been flown directly towards the camera.

JM2CW.

Bob R