[NSRCA-discussion] Snap entry in FAI

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 07:46:32 AKDT 2008

A "Flick" and a "Snap" roll are the same roll in full scale aerobatics
parlance and reference material.

Do these mean the same thing in model aerobatics? In my view, they do

The latest FAI regs allow actuation of the three main axes
simultaneously...that is, the regs don't specifically differentiate
"Pitch Break" from other deviations. I don't think they specifically
require that the model must rotate about it's flight path either, I
don't believe (.....plane must rotate in a conical fashion about the
fight axis....). The model would probably present the best if that's
done, so pilots may want to consider that when executing the maneuver.

In my take, a rapid Pitch is desired to preload the wing. Contrary to
popular belief, both panels dot not have to stall for a snap to occur.
Quite the opposite. Upon rudder deflection, the port panel will
practically stall (lift much much less than the other panel) but the
starboard panel must be lifting to create the autorotation. If both
panels stall, the model will fall out of the sky for a distance and a
snap would not occur at the correct moment in time

MattK