[NSRCA-discussion] Electric Motor Problem

Charles Hochhalter cahochhalter at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 06:20:18 AKDT 2008

Your soution to the problem will be timing... i switched to the Castle 85 and reset timing solving the problem.

  As for your prop selection and the 18X12, this is one of the worst props for eating amps that is out there.  I recommend a smaller diameter prop.  I ran the 16T on a 19X12 and liked the performance.

  When I flew the 12T I had trouble developing the power I would be happy with on a 10 lb airframe.

  good luck

  Chuck

  Terrence Walker <tewalker10 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Ron,

  I've only been flying electric for only two months so be sceptical of anything that I have to say. I have a setup very similar to yours and I had that same problem.

  Here's my setup:
    Dualsky 6360 - 11T
    Jeti Opto 90 Advance Plus ESC
    APC 19X13 E

  My solution was to set my ESC to "hard timing" to eliminate the chattering.

  I'm not familar with the programming card so "OUTRUNNER timing" may be the same as
  "hard timing" in which case in those immortal words of Gilda Radner..."never mind"

  Hopefully, someone more knowledgable than me post a solution.

  Good Luck,

  Terry

Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net> wrote:
  I have converted a World Models Spot-On 120 for electric-power. The
motor is a Dualsky 6350 - 12T (2000 watt), swinging an APC 18x12 E
prop. The speed control is a Jeti Opto 90 Advance. Using the Jeti
programming card, I set the timing for OUTRUNNER, the brake for OFF,
the cutoff voltage to HIGH, the cutoff type to SLOW DOWN and the
throttle curve to LINEAR. I am using a Futaba 9Z transmitter, with
the throttle throw initially set from -100% to +100% as indicated in
the Jeti instructions.

When the throttle is advanced, RPM builds up normally, but at about
60% of throttle stick position, the motor 'chatters' and I have to
shut it down. If I don't do anything other than reduce the high
throttle in ATR from +100% to +80%, the motor comes smoothly up to
maximum RPM.

What's going on?

Ron VP