[NSRCA-discussion] NMP rod ends

glmiller3 at suddenlink.net glmiller3 at suddenlink.net
Wed Jul 30 14:59:45 AKDT 2008

Troy,

You mispelled the address of your web page!

it should be :   www.patternflyer.com

---- Troy Newman <troy at troynewman.net> wrote:

=============
I have been using the NMP DARE rod ends for years. I like them. They are
the lightest and smallest to use. However I have not used the 3mm
version. The 3mm version is a bit too large for our pattern application.
It works good on bigger 30% and larger models. I always use the 2mm
versions they are small and compact.

As Jon Lowe stated you have to cautious with them as the ceramic ball
can get compressed and cause some binding. I just tighten them up so
there is no slop and no friction. I have had very good results and have
been using them for many years.

As for the Rod ends not fitting 4-40 they are not intended to fit 4-40
threads. A 3mm thread is too large of diameter for a 4-40 to go into. I
have also tried to convert the 2mm ends to 2-56 and you have have to be
careful as the plastic the DARE ends is made from is not a normal nylon
type material and takes some care to re-tap to a different thread size.
But I don't re-size them I use the 2mm fittings with them and the 2mm
DARE ends thread on perfectly and are already threaded. They come with
the jam nut for the pushrod and then the center 2mm bolt that attaches
them t the servo arm.

I can't figure out why folks still use 4-40 and 3mm fittings and ends on
their pattern models. I have been using the 2mm stuff for about 8 years
now and its perfect for our application. I even use 2mm fittings on my
DEPS systems that I install. The finest thread and best for the
application is a 2mm. This makes adjustments more precise and gives you
the best flexibility in your setup. 4-40 threads are pretty course
adjustment and a 1/2 turn on 4-40 can be a relatively large change to
the length of the pushrod. The 2mm stuff works better for me and gives a
fine adjustment over the 4-40 stuff.

I adjust the tension on the ball in the ball link like Jon Lowe
described and wear and smoothness of the linkage is best I have ever
used. Te MK ball bearing race ends are good too, but these don't work
well in an application like Ailerons where the pushrod moves vertically
while it moves in the rotation of the servo. Also in a  dirty
environment the MK ball race is open to the elements and can get dirt
and oil and crud in them. This will affect the smooth motion part of the
linkage. The NMP ends don't have this problem. The MK ball bearing race
ends are good for say a elevator servo on its side, or in a rudder cable
application on the servo horn side. In my experience with these little
devices I use the NMP rod ends on the servo side for Ailerons and
Elevator and then the MK 2mm Clevis links on the control horn side.

I'll post some details about my 2mm pushrod stuff up on the my Pattern
Flier Blog this week. I have a bunch of stuff going up there now that
the NATS is done. Focus Sport files will be posted very soon. I'm
planning some other stuff in the lines of linkages and radio setup
stuff. Robert and I also put a DEPS in his  Focus 2 the week before the
NATS. It was about a 2hr job and most of that was letting glue cure up.
I took lots of photos and wanted to post that up for you guys as well. I
keep getting told its impossible to install in a  Built airframe.  I
hope that somebody that doesn't know about this stuff can benefit from
it. That is the entire goal.

check out the new website and the new stuff this week

www.patternflier.com

You can also find a link on Central Hobbies.com to the new Pattern Flier
website. Things are just getting rolling over there and it should be a
good resource.

Troy Newman