[NSRCA-discussion] 120 AC issues UPDATE

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 04:28:55 AKDT 2008

I am following this discussion with interest.  I have similar issues with a 140DZ.  Runs great on the bench, but quits about 50% of the time after the final spin in Masters.  It acts like you turned it off with a switch, will not respond to throttle and just kind of spins down.  The motor was used but ran well for the previous owner and was freshly factory rebuilt.

I tried new plugs, a header tank, finally a new fuel pump. Nothing worked.  In the end I replaced it with a 160, which has run like a clock in the same airframe.   I removed the header tank, it was not needed.

I too suffered through the dreaded piston rock problem. That was "cured" in the 140's by either replacing the piston with a DZ piston or drilling 5 or so small gas ports from the top of the piston to the backside of the ring grove.  It is not hard, a drill press will do. I don't remember the exact drill size ( around a number 77 or so) but it is not all that critical.

I am going to get back to that 140DZ after the NATS, it is a shame for such a beast to languish in a box.
If I come up with anything I'll report it here.

 Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com