[NSRCA-discussion] AMA weight limit

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 06:58:21 AKDT 2008

The AMA rules take a little bit of liberty with the conversion from kg to
lb, (5kg = 11.023# or 11# is 10.5g short of 5kg) but both are mentioned as
equal. The 5kg limit is then the max allowed by the rules, as Matt stated.
FAI is 5000g with a 1% tolerance for instrument variance.

Another couple of subtle differences exist in sound measuring. AMA specifies
measurement with the meter on the right side and downwind. FAI specifies the
meter on the right side with the nose of the model pointing into the wind.
As with the weight tolerance, AMA specifies a limit of 96dBA with no
tolerance, while FAI specifies a limit of 94dBA with a tolerance of the
meter specs. (likely 1.dB - not sure of the spec of the Simpson meters AMA
has).

It's unwise to count on an instrument being exactly accurate and worse to
assume the tolerance to be in your favor. FAI included the allowance to
prevent unfair DQ in the event an instrument is more critical. For example -
a balance with +-1% accuracy could weigh a 5000g model over or under 50g,
guess what happens if it's weighing 1% heavy and yours is actually 5050.

Earl