[NSRCA-discussion] Judging by committee?

JShulman jshulman at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 31 11:55:46 AKST 2008

Since this is mostly  (not taking full blame) my fault (even though I should
blame it on this type of judging being used very successfully at another
contest) here's what we did. Scoring is always thought of as being unfair at
times (haha). Pilots judge a class that they don't fly, and in return, those
pilots judge back, also in a class they don't fly. So why not eliminate the
"unknown" factor of judges not being intimately familiar with the sequence
being flown? That's what we did. Each FAI pilot had to have their plane RTF
before the round started. Then one pilot was  flying  and all the other
pilots judged. Since t/o and landings aren't judged anymore, we were able to
get ready a bit faster while these parts were flown. We are patiently
waiting on scores from Tangerine+ to see if dropping high and low would
change the outcome much. Of the score sheets we saved, it didn't seem to
make much difference.  One good thing about this system is the pilots can
ONLY look at their competitors for the results. I believe I judge every
flight honestly, do you?

One thing we figured out is that this will work better with a larger number
of pilots so you can drop the high and low. Even though there were 4 of us,
and we were rushed to fly and judge in a timely manner, 3 of us have
discussed it further and believe it will work. We think that a minimum of 6
contestants are needed to have a "fair" shot, allowing the drop or high and
low scores. Of course it is all screwed up if you have 2 pilots that don't
(or do) like you...lol.

I have flown in a contest (soon to be 4 total) like this once before
Tangerine (not Historic pattern contest) where the pilots judged each other.
The results turned out exactly as everyone thought they should have. We
dropped high/lows and in the end, everyone was happy with their results. Not
only that, but no one complained about what place they finished...imagine
that.

Any judging is really only going to work IF everyone knows  and follows  the
rules, or at the very least, is honest/consistent in the way they judge
every pilot. If someone holds a grudge or halo, scores won't be accurate
regardless of the scoring style used to determine a contest.

Regards,
Jason
www.jasonshulman.com
www.shulmanaviation.com