[NSRCA-discussion] Transition to new server: phase one complete (I think)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Mon Jan 28 14:25:21 AKST 2008

Ron Van Putte wrote:

> Does anybody know if Marty is using English here?  It's not like any
> language with which I am familiar.  Is SMF a Somewhat Married
> Female?

Sorry!  "Simple Machines Forum."

It's a popular, open-source (free) forum platform
that uses PHP (which stands for "PHP: Hypertext
Preprocessor"; the PHP before the colon stands
for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor"; etc.), a server-side
scripting language, and MySQL (My Structured Query
Language), which is used to maintain databases.

  And what's with this fight between Joomia and SMF?

Joomla branched off of Mambo because the core developers
of Joomla wanted their open source (free) software to
remain free and open.

They are insisting on a very strict definition of the
GNU General Public License (GPL; Gnu, of course,
stands for "Gnu's not unix).  SMF does not want to
let people recirculate their code--they give it away
free, but they want everyone to get their copy from
SMF.

> Enquiring minds want to know.

I did enough research in January to see that it was still
unsettled and may remain unsettled for a while.

Meanwhile, Fireboard is designed from the get-go to be
part of Joomla, so it doesn't face the same difficulties.
It may prove to be all we need--if we even want to have
forums.  My impression is that some want them, some
don't, and others haven't made up their minds.

My taste runs to e-mail and newsgroups.  I don't regularly
visit any forum sites.  I understand that other folks have
different tastes and inclinations.  ;o)

				Marty