[NSRCA-discussion] Futaba FASST System

Tony tony at radiosouthrc.com
Mon Jan 28 06:10:03 AKST 2008

I had the privilege of sitting next to Don Anderson (Hobbico/Great Planes)
at Dave Browns retirement dinner last Saturday evening in Muncie, Indiana
while attending the EC meeting.

I asked Don about what was happening, and he said that there was a 10
micro-second window that, if the TX was powered down during this time, and
then re-started, it could cause the EPROM to reset.

Great Planes tested all of their stock (a BIG NUMBER!) and only found a
total of about 20 sets that were programmed from Futaba with the problem.
They then took several of these sets and set up a test program to cycle the
power to make them reset.  After MANY hours of turning these TX's on and off
and on and off and on and off....  they couldn't get ANY to reset.  Finally,
they cut the power wire from a battery pack and installed a momentary
push-button to quickly cycle the power to see if they could get a failure.
Finally after TWO HOURS of this (boy is my finger hurting!) they finally got
a single unit to reset.

In practical application, they don't believe it would happen to units in the
field, but it is possible.

Tony Stillman, President
Radio South, Inc.
139 Altama Connector, Box 322