[NSRCA-discussion] Battery charger needed

Rex LESHER trexlesh at msn.com
Thu Jan 24 14:49:00 AKST 2008

Anthony

For the last couple seasons, I've been using the Thunder Power 1010C/ 210V Charger/Balancer system.   I mostly use them
for charging 10 cell flight packs, but it will charge pretty much any battery out there.  It'll charge 10 cells at 5 amps.  Or,
5 cells at 10 amps...  10 amps being the max output.  As far as input, the charger requires 11-15 volts... at a minimum of
15 amps, or 25 amps (at maximum charge output)..  I use a 45 amp/ 12V power supply that I either plug into availble 110V or
my Honda generator.  With this setup, I can run two charger/balancer sets at the same time, and pretty much continually fly
with short breaks of 10-15 minutes in between having packs ready to go.

These chargers are programmed with firmware and all updates are available at the Thunder Power website.  You simply connect
your charger to your computer, using the "available" connection cable and download the new program into your charger.
There isn't a safer system out there as the balancer and charger are connected together during the charge, and all individual
cell information is available for your viewing on charger screen.

It's a good idea to have a charger/balancer combo that allows the balancer to "talk" to the charger during charging...  If the
balancer detects a problem, it will notify the charger, the charge will be stopped, and the charger will provide a trouble code
for your viewing...  A typical situation will be that  one or more cells will be over volting, the balancer cannot bleed the voltage
fast enough and will tell the charger to shut down.  Then, most of the time, you can simply lower the charge amperage for a short
time, till the cells balance, then resume the normal charge.  Most every time I've had a shut down, it has been exactly that...  a
cell imbalance where one cell reading is too high during the charge and the charger shuts off.  It's better to have to deal with that
for 20 minutes than to  overcook a $500 battery!  Or, overcook the nearby area for that matter!

In my oppinion, charging without a balancer can only lead to problems.  Everything works fine until there's a problem with one
of the cells....  That's when it gets hot.  You won't ever know there's a problem till it happens.  If  you use a system with
this protection, you may see the problem before it ever becomes a "REAL PROBLEM"...

Rex