[NSRCA-discussion] Altitude limits

Ed White edvwhite at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 21 12:13:58 AKST 2008

It is written in FAA Advisory Circular AC 91-57, dated June 9, 1981.  You can download it from the the FAA website (www.faa.gov and then type AC 91-57 into the search box).

It says "Do not fly model aircraft higher than 400 feet above the surface."  This applies to any location.  But because the next sentence says "When flying aircraft within 3 miles of an airport, notify the airport operator ..."  some people misinterpret the requirement as 400 feet only when within 3 miles of an airport.

The key point is that it is an ADVISORY Circular.  It outlines the FAA's preferred model aircraft operating standards, but compliance with the AC is voluntary.  An AC is not the same as a FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation).

Ed

Mark Atwood <atwoodm at paragon-inc.com> wrote: It was always my understanding that we were never supposed to exceed 400 ft
and that full scale aircraft were to stay above 500ft.  But I'm not sure
where that's written...

-M