[NSRCA-discussion] paint

Dr. Mike Harrison drmikedds at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 17 04:37:18 AKST 2008

Thanks Matt good info.
Mike
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: rcmaster199 at aol.com
  To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
  Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:54 PM
  Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] paint

  Ron and all,

  PPG urethanes, part A at least, have a long shelf life, on the order of several years. As long as the paint has enough carrier to keep it fluid, it's probably usable. I have not seen the material autocatalyze or have the pigments come out of suspension. Pigments do settle but they should be easily be brought back into suspension by stirring.

  Part B catalyst is another matter. These substances in general love moisture and warmth (FLA and TX) and their shelf life is much shorter. In some cases I've lost catalyst in a year or less even in a tight container. Too much moisture introduced when used.

  To catalyze CONCEPT and OMNI urethanes, I've been using OMNI catalyst with excellent results, (the fast cure hardener..it also comes in slow which is too slow for our application). The chemistry is very similar if not identical between CONCEPT and OMNI. The great thing about OMNI catalyst is that it comes in pretty small packages (4 ozs) and has a metal sealing disk insert on top. I simply pierce this disk to control both the amount of catalyst dispensing as well as the amount of moisture introduced into the container. OMNI cost is 1/3 to 1/4 that of  CONCEPT and is used 1 part to 4 parts paint

  After 4 years of hibernation, I found and used my old catalyst stock with both some CONCEPT and OMNI (also about 4 years old) to refinish Temptress' (5 years old) landing gear this past fall. Both paints cured normally and produced very similar finish results (fine) FWIW

  On sandable primers, I've written about this a couple times before but I guess people forget...it's hard to beat Klass Kote epoxy paints. Work better than the old KB we used to love. These materials also have quite a shelf life. My cans are 5 years old now and the paints in them still work fine. Catalyst has yellowed slightly but it's no problem for primer coats

  Hope this helps you

  regards

  Matt