[NSRCA-discussion] Futaba Receiver Question

Lisa & Larry lld613 at psci.net
Thu Jan 3 20:01:11 AKST 2008

I work in the electronics manufacturing industry and have dealt with costing
/ pricing issues similar to these.

Based on what I read in the link, it sounds like there was a component
change due to unavailability of an original spec'd out part. A scenario
could be that due to the component manufacture discontinuing a part thus
having to find a drop in replacement or actually respinning (designing) a
new PCB. More often than not the price will be higher because of the supply
/ demand issue. I actually had a VP of OPS for a chip manufacturer tell me
they doubled the price because the market would pay it. My customer at the
time was IBM and I arranged a nice meeting for the supplier to explain his
pricing strategy (being that IBM told us we had to buy the part from them).
Once IBM told them no problem, that IBM will flag the supplier and design
all there components out, they reconsidered. Don't think there are any IBM
power houses to influence the suppliers of our products so we are at the
mercy of the OEM's we buy stuff from.

The worst case scenario about 5 to 7 years ago there was actually a
capacitor type (Tantalum) that demand grew faster than capacity creating a
shortage about the time cell phones and other cool device were starting to
boom. It took a 25 cent part and drove the price up over 10x. Not too bad on
the surface, but couple it with a PCB that uses 25 of them and now we need
to adjust the price to keep an acceptable profit margin.

RAM memory is another good example as the price seems to be volatile.
Sometimes a great deal and others your paying through the nose.

So Tony's guess is probably on target if we are talking material. I would
doubt that the actual assembly processing cost has increased.

Larry Diamond

  _____