[NSRCA-discussion] Ocala Pattern meet

Robert Campbell rgc1701 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 18:48:28 AKST 2008

A little sanity here please!  Yes, it was a mistake scheduling the contest on Easter Weekend.  However, we're about 6 weeks out and people are already making plans.  (I almost booked a room before this notice of a possible change hit and I'd be very upset if i had to eat a cancellation fee.)

The contest has been formally sanctioned and scheduled through the AMA.  It has been listed in Model Aviation, so it has been formally and officially announced to the national aeromodelling community.  If the date is changed this late in the game.  Also, there is no way AMA can change the sanction and get a revised date in the magazine at this late date.  And there is no way to ensure all potential contestants.  Also remember, everyone subscribes to the discussion list nor does everyone scrutinize all three contest calanders (AMA, NSRCA, NSRCA Discrict 3) on a weekly basis looking for changes to contests already sanctioned.  This creates the very real possibility that one or two contestante will show up on either Friday the 21st or Saturday the 22nd expecting to fly in a contest.  In the Air Force, we have a saying, "Ten percent never get the word."

Now, if these flyers show up on Friday, 21 March expecting a contest the next day, is the club prepared to reimburse these individuals for their travel, motel rooms, meals and incidentals?  This could be as high as $400 per flyer.  (The Joint Federal Travel Regulation presently reimburses TDY travel in your vehicle at $0.485 per mile,, so a contestant like myself who travelled 300 miles to the contest would be out almost $300 in fair value for driving alone) If I found myself in that situation, I would first submit an itemized bill and politely ask to be reimbursed.  If I was denied, I'd file in small claims court, not to mention being mad as hell.

Given the potential for disaster rescheduling the contest this late in the game, I think it would be better to leave the dates as they are, and remember in future years to make sure the contest isn't being scheduled on Easter Weekend.