[NSRCA-discussion] Judging by committee?

seefo at san.rr.com seefo at san.rr.com
Fri Feb 1 09:27:00 AKST 2008

I wasn't suggesting throwing out the high and low score per maneuver actually, but the high and low judge entirely. This of course requires you to have more judges to do so. I do understand your reasoning though of potentially eliminating the judge who actually got it right. One of things we used to say out here in pilot's meetings about judging is "Don't always assume the lower score is wrong."

 I think the idea here is not to remove the stray 0 given, but remove any obvious bias against a specific pilot. Of course, I say that having said I'd trust anyone I fly against to judge me fairly, so perhaps that's a moot point.

One thing I hadn't thought about was the matter that each pilot would be flying in front of a different set of judges. I'm not sure I like that notion either.

The one thing Jason brought up just now too is the fact that we've all been the benefactor of the judges missing some big mistake from time to time. But strangely enough, when I got away with something big, nearly all of the pilots I was competing with caught it. I DO think the peer judging has merit. It just may be the negatives outweigh the positives.

-Doug