[NSRCA-discussion] Breakthrough Pattern plane designs

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 17:25:29 AKST 2008

Hmmmm!! I'm sure most will disagree but heck I have thick hide, thicker
than most of you

I think pattern airplane (just airplane, not accessories) development
over the past 30 some odd years has seen little if any invention. There
were trend setting airplanes and more unique designs built to suit
their designers. Curare was highly copied and Arrow and Bootlegger
initiated the internal piped set-ups. I remember seeing Koger's belt
driven plane around 1990 or so and thought that was a cool enineering
set-up. That was one invention worth mentioning but it was not the
airplane, it was the powerplant

Certainly pattern airplanes such as Curare, Arrow and Smaragd were
influential but in my view not really revolutionary. Evolutionary yes.
Not revolutionary. With all due respect to Mssrs Prettner and Matt;
planes were and still are outstanding fliers as are many others.

The closest thing to revolutionary pattern plane design is Nat Penton's
VooDoo Xpress, a plane 25 years ahead of its time. It has taken
schedules this long to catch up to that plane's capability. Certainly
not a successful airplane in the marketing sense nor in the highly
copied sense. But revolutionary nevertheless

To me, the most influential and truly revolutionary thing to be
developed in the last 25 years has to be Merle Hyde's vibration
dampening engine mount. This simple, passive invention revolutionized
pattern models, along with a key rule change
, which allowed very high
output powerplant development. Without this device, pattern models
would not have been as large, assuming the weight rule would have
stayed in effect, unchanged. Take the soft mount away and everything
shrinks to accomodate weight needed for dampening the power strokes.
Without the soft engine mount I don't think pattern models would be
what they are today.

I agree with Jason that APC props were revolutionary. They converted
classic Betz propeller theory to practice, something no one else had
been able to do before.

My 2 cents, whatever that's worth

Matt K