[NSRCA-discussion] Knoxville tn AMA contest, was Secret City Pattern Classic, now House Mountain Pattern Classic

Ed Miller edbon85 at tds.net
Tue Aug 5 05:40:54 AKDT 2008

For those of you who may be confused ( as I am ) the Knoxville Tennessee AMA
pattern event was to be a joint venture between the Tennessee Eagles R/C
club ( TERC ) and KCRC originally called "Secret City Pattern Classic" to be
held at the Tennessee Eagle home field in Harriman TN and as advertised in
Model Aviation.  The CD and Co-CD of this event approached the Tennessee
Eagle membership late in '07 with this request/proposal and at that time I
was president of TERC.  As you know the KCRC AMA pattern contest attendance
had significantly waned in recent years and the thought of moving the event
to a bigger and better facility, the TERC home field, would rejuvenate
attendance to this long time event as well as foster cooperation between the
two clubs.  The TERC membership voted on and passed this event and looked
forward to having a world class pattern event at our beautiful site in
Harriman TN.  Here is where a good story turns bad.  Like all stories or
disputes there are 3 sides, one sides story, the other sides story and the
truth.  As you can see from the emails sent here by the CD of this new event
a was decision made, unbeknownst to the current TERC officials ( I spoke
with the current TERC president this morning ) to move this event from the
TERC home field to another venue in Knoxville called "House Mountain".
Apparently there was miscommunication/misunderstanding concerning the number
of anticipated attendees. The original intent was for TERC membership to
handle food duties for the 2 day event and the KCRC membership to handle all
other event activities.  I speak for the entire TERC membership at our
disappointment at this turn of events and I speak for myself at the
disappointment on how this was handled. I had looked forward to finally
competing in a pattern contest this year, right in my own back yard but have
decided due to the circumstances surrounding this event, I will not be
attending.  I wish you all well at this event and perhaps I will make it to
Gay Ga. later this year.  Right now pattern isn't sitting well with me.
Ed Miller.