[NSRCA-discussion] Covering

glmiller3 at suddenlink.net glmiller3 at suddenlink.net
Fri Aug 1 12:31:35 AKDT 2008

Also, don't be too stingy with the overlap- at least 1/4 inch-  and put the lighter color under the darker color.

 You can also do it by putting a complete base color down and then adding the trim on top of it.  Best done with a "cold technique"  - ie, take the backing of the monokote off and lay it down on a layer of windex or slightly soapy water; then squeegee out all the liquid and let dry. This will result in way fewer bubbles than any "hot" technique that I know of.

---- J N Hiller <jnhiller at earthlink.net> wrote:

=============
I only did it once on a Midwest extra 300 wing. I joined the straight-line
color changes across the open rib bays before shrinking being careful to
only heat the overlap. Shrinking with a heat gun will cause the seams to
slip unless shielded from the heat. It held up well until a mid-air required
patching a rather large portion of one wing panel. Mating un-shrunk covering
to previously shrunk covering caused some wrinkling where the colors joined.
I have avoided trim schemes requiring color changes over open structures
since that were too large to add a second color layer over a base. Once was
enough.
Jim Hiller