[NSRCA-discussion] Annhedral Stab

Jack Keiser jtkeiser at comcast.net
Mon Apr 21 18:06:21 AKDT 2008

In the early 80's I was flying an EU-1A in competition. In those days, it
was considered a large plane, I believe 965 sq in of wing and 9+ pounds. At
any rate, it was a little different and had some unusual flight
characteristics. Looping maneuvers weren't the greatest but it rolled like
it was on a wire. Knife edges took some trimming; I don't remember which way
it pulled but it was significant. That caused me, and others, to move the
horizontal stab around; lower than the original, I believe, to solve that
problem. And that introduced another problem - in vertical down lines with
power off, the elevator would become totally ineffective. Blanked by the
wing, I presume. Add some power and it was ok. Not a comforting way to fly.

So, I built another one, my third or fourth, and put anhedral in the
horizontal stab , just like the Curare. Voila! Problem solved. I reasoned
that some part of the elevator would be in clean air and it seemed to work.
I suspect it had something to do with the low aspect ratio of the wing, as I
haven't seen or heard of that problem since.

Since then, I've had occasion to talk with a designer who was involved with
the F-4 Phantom, which has a significant amount of anhedral in the stab. His
view was that the anhedral was a fix for some other problem and otherwise
wouldn't be there. Don't remember any more of that conversation, but it
seemed consistent with my modeling experience.

Jack