[NSRCA-discussion] Annhedral Stab

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 20 15:20:02 AKDT 2008

Thanks Matt, as with any other design change it needs to be tried to
understand the effect. I always felt that the bottom running stab in
knife-edge or the outer stab when the fuselage is yawed is more effective
than the other side and dominate. In the old days I was able to balance
knife-edge pitch by adjusting one elevator up and the other down. When an
annhedral stab is yawed it becomes unbalanced resulting in a pitch force
change towards the top of the fuselage. If this were true it should also
produce a slight roll with yaw. I will probably never understand as much
about pattern plane design as I would like, I just try things. It either
gets better or it gets worse and this is only one of many design
considerations.
OH that rolling circle stuff makes my head hurt. An analog processor would
probably help or one about thirty years younger.
Jim