[NSRCA-discussion] Lipo Sacks

JEREMY CHINN lagrue at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 10 08:16:55 AKDT 2008

I'll admit fault..... My indoor batts use mini deans. One day while plugging up batts on the chargers while talking on the phone, I managed to plug two batts together......... as they puffed, I ran for the garage door and threw them under it as it opened. Once the door was fully opened, I saw that the batteries skidded to a stop under my new pickuptruck....... Of course I then ran to grab them and throw them into the yard.........

It only takes one moment of carelessness.....

From: cjm767driver at hotmail.comTo: chad at f3acanada.org; nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgDate: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:54:28 -0500Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Lipo Sacks

Walter, I'm with Chad on this.  The key is to have good equipment that will monitor the batteries and automatically shut down if there is a problem.  Too many sensational stories on the internet about some battery fire etc have a lot of unknowns in their stories.  Have you ever seen one where they said "it was my fault,  I did XYZ that I should not have done"?  No, everyone says, wow it just blew up - then the marketing guys come out with a safety product to fix a problem that probably never would exist with good equipment and charging techniques.  Why don't we have bunkers and sacks for cans of gasoline?  Is there not a chance that it could explode too?  We know that if we goof around carelessly with gasoline, it will go boom - so we are careful.  Same with lipos.I could be wrong here, but I too have hundreds of charges on big lipos and have never had any issue. The key is just be careful and check your charge settings and use good equipment with safety cut offs.  Can it hurt to use these bunkers and sacks, of course not.  They give you another layer of protection but I really don't think they are that necessary.Sorry, but I really think the hype is over done with lipos.ChrisPS - no more coffee for me today - I better go fly and relax someChad Northeast wrote:
WalterThe only safe way to charge lipos is to ensure you have a safe charger that monitors cell voltages like the TP 1010, or the Schulze's.  Or use a balancer like the Flightpower etc that tie into the charge line.  This way if anything goes screwy with the charge they shut it down, lipos don't light on fire for no reason, its usually because you overcharged them and they got hot and burst.  Or you are charging a damaged pack, and usually common sense will tell you that is not a good idea.ALWAYS babysit the charge, forget bunkers, sacks etc. if you monitor the charge there is no need for these because you will always be aware of the state of the packs as they are charging.  In my opinion using sacks etc. is a band aid for unsafe charging practices.  I am sure someone will flame me for this but I have been charging these big packs for 4 years, I must have 1000's of charges behind me and "touch wood" I have never had a single issue, but I watch my chargers.  In the early days before we had all this fancy monitoring stuff I had to pull packs off chargers because things were going bad.Chad----- Original Message -----From: Walter Nasse <wwnasse at figment.ca>Date: Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:09 pmSubject: [NSRCA-discussion] Lipo SacksTo: NSRCA Mailing List <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>> BlankDoes anyone use the Lipo Sack for charging and transporting > batterypacks?> > What other alternatives are there?  Ammo Boxes? Flour Tins?> > Thanks,> > Walter> > No virus found in this outgoing message.> Checked by AVG.> Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.10/1367 - Release > Date: 4/9/2008> 7:10 AM>