[NSRCA-discussion] Mid-Air discussion

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Sep 26 08:36:39 AKDT 2007

John,

  I tend to agree somewhat with your observations. The best avoidance measure overall is to pick a different line than the other flyer(s). It would be nice if the two fliers could agree to this before takeoff. However, with more crossbox maneuvers, it makes picking a line more difficult since you are forced to move away from it sometimes.

  Bob R.

John Ferrell <johnferrell at earthlink.net> wrote:
      Most mid airs happen pretty close to the 150 meter line in pattern. Masters and Advanced are especially vulnerable when they are both flying the line. Local judging practices keep FAI/Masters from flying at the same time.

  The mid airs I have witnessed at the Nats seem to leave the crash debris in a narrow path along the 150 meter line.

  The IMAC exposure is lower due to the relaxed box restrictions which are not as likely to crowd the flights into the same track.

  I have had a few mid airs and I have never see one coming either flying or calling. As a judge, Line Chief  or Site Director I have never seen one coming in time to warn anyone.

  I have always considered starting two pilots in rapid succession a safety issue to be avoided.

  Generally speaking, FAI pilots are good enough to find a usable line if the other pilot is flying a consistent line.

  John Ferrell    W8CCW
"Life is easier if you learn to plow
       around the stumps"
http://DixieNC.US