[NSRCA-discussion] Mid-Air discussion

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Tue Sep 25 14:49:06 AKDT 2007

As a warning system, I vote for an airhorn on the flight line, of at least
140dB.

Keith...midairs are just like any other aspect of this hobby, you gotta
practice  to be good..I landed after my last one.

Of course, I probably have just cursed my soon to be painted new
Symphony...if you believe in such things.

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radomes and Specialty Apetures
Technical Staff Composites Engineering
Raytheon

"Keith Black" <tkeithblack at gmail.com>
Sent by: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
09/25/2007 04:47 PM
Please respond to
NSRCA Mailing List <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>

cc

Subject
[NSRCA-discussion] Mid-Air discussion

Following my mid-air at the N. Dallas contest this weekend there's been an
RCU thread started on the subject. From this discussion an interesting
idea has evolved. For those who would like to read the thread here's the
link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6409493/anchors_6413018/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#6413018

If you'd just like to hear the idea I'll paste my RCU posting below:

This is my third mid-air in four seasons. My first may have been avoided,
but the last two were a complete shock to both me and my caller. In fact,
in mid-air #2 my caller said "you're good" (meaning we were not going to
hit). The other pilot's caller walked up to me and apologized saying that
he told the other pilot that he was in the clear. Therefore, I don't know
how effective a third "spotter" sitting between the lines could be.
That being said, two recent events have given me an idea of how we might
be able to greatly improve this problem. The first light bulb was
Vicente's suggestion of the spotter that warns the pilots. The second
event was my walk out to pick up the fragments of my beloved Brio. As I
was walking back I stood for a bit to observe the planes looking down the
flight path. It was amazing how clearly you can see each plane as it moves
in and out from the flight line.
So here's the idea: What if we sat a spotter at the corner of the box to
watch plane separation in the distance out dimension and then had the
other spotter sitting between the judges (or even back under the cover)
watching in the right to left dimension. These two spotters could use
radios with headsets and continually talk to each other. There are many
times that planes appear to be close to a mid-air from the flight line
viewpoint, however, the number of times that both spotters would be
alarmed should be fairly minimal. When this occurs the spotter could sound
an alarm (this deserves discussion as to the details) and each pilot could
peel off of their course. If one pilot froze the collision may still be
avoided by just one pilot taking action. Sure, this could cause a mid-air,
but viewing from two dimensions should help in alerting only when an
impact is probable.
Some have stated that they've seen very few mid-airs, but my experience in
D6 and NATS is that at least 70% (if not more) of the contests I've
attended have had mid-airs. I'm not going to run away crying and quit the
hobby due to this mid-air, but reducing such losses would be a benefit to
us all!
NSRCA-discussion mailing list
NSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.org