[NSRCA-discussion] North Dallas Contest

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Tue Sep 25 10:58:33 AKDT 2007

Thanks to the ND folks for another excellent contest! Their 24th and still great thanks to the efforts of CD David Cotton and Gene Maurice, as well as the "behind the scenes" folks. Good field, great folks, and good flying. We in D6 are fortunate to have a number of great meets in the district and ND is always at the top of the fall schedule.

On a sad note - we learned that Dr. Ed Hurt, a long time pattern competitor and great guy, passed away in August.

With 27 competitors (5 in Sportsman) we were able to comfortably fly 6 rounds. The Masters guys (7) had a real shoot-out! In the round I judged Saturday it appeared that they hadn't practiced much since the Nats and a nice "in your face" crosswind didn't help. But did they get it together Sunday! I judged the last round and it was, by far, the best round I've seen these guys fly! The overall scores don't reflect the excellence of this round, everyone put up some excellent efforts and it was a real pleasure to judge (except for Keith Black's mid-air with two maneuvers to go).

The F3A guys (6) flew P09 for all six rounds and it was an educational experience - this sequence isn't very "robust", but leaves no room for slight errors. There were some differences in presentation of some maneuvers (and score application to them). Some made the Immelman very long rather than "square", and some drew a line between the second 90 deg of the entry 2 of 4 and the push. The top hat sometimes had equal line lengths and sometimes the top was short. The 1 1/4 snap on the downline of the middle stall turn is a little troublesome, as is keeping the double outsides with integrated roll round and in the same place. Overall, everyone handled the flying (and judging) well.

Earl