[NSRCA-discussion] Eyeglasses

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at tx.rr.com
Sun Sep 9 09:00:56 AKDT 2007

I couldn't resist a gadget like this.  Based on Jim's full endorsement, I
purchased a pair of these things.  Man, do they make you look geeky!  They
stick out 2" from your head and people looking at you see giant eyeballs.
As far as working for pattern pilots, probably not.  There just isn't enough
field of view for you to see the overall positioning and manuver size.
However, they might be an interesting judging tool.  Without a transmitter
in your hand and the risk of crashing, you can position these glasses on the
end of your nose and go back and forth between zoom view and normal view.
The optics aren't that great either.  There is a bit of a halo around
objects under the best of circumstances, and the edges of view are more
distorted than the center.  There are lens designs that reduce this effect,
but this isn't one of them.  This is not to say they are a complete "toy".
For watching a play or nascar they are probably fine, but not for the
exactness that we require.

--Lance