[NSRCA-discussion] Nishioka Hatori Pipe mount

Woodward, Jim jim.woodward at baesystems.com
Sat Sep 8 16:41:54 AKDT 2007

Hi Guys,

I switched to the Nishioka Hatori pipe mount and flew it for the first time today.  This is the $35 mount that connects to the fuselage via spring clamps and vertical standoffs.  This is a very slick unit.  However, I want to put out there some installation experience.  In order to get the spacing of the vertical support correct I first did a fake installation on just a flat piece of plywood.  Once satisfied and with the squeeze-operaiton for removal, I mirrored that on the plane.  This setup is predicted on the resting geometry of the springs - which pointed just a bit "out" from paralell to the C/L of the pipe.

During the first flight the pipe fell off the plane and I landed, on the third maneuver.  Upon inspection after landing, the springs had gained a new un-deformed position and this dimension changed about 0.25".  At the field I just remounted one of the stand-offs and went on without any problems.  So.... if you are installing this mount, I suggest you position the vertical supports so that you can BARELY get the pipe out of them, regardless of the initial resting geometry of the springs, as today proves that they can gain a new position after running.

Thanks,
Jim W.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and proprietary information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.