[NSRCA-discussion] gassers

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sat Sep 8 16:38:10 AKDT 2007

JonLowe at aol.com wrote:        When the sound restrictions were first announced for the Masters, people said it was too low a noise level.  Guess what?  Everyone made it.

  Yeah. I understand that someone (Mark Leseburg?) did not meet the noise at first. While they were trying to mitigate the problem, someone happened to grab a wing and the noise dropped. There was something rattling in the wing causing the problem, IOW it wasn't the exhaust noise!

  The tuned pipes were a slight weight penalty, but was more than compensated by the increased power. The only downside was that the pipes were a little "peaky". We all know that is a problem that can be easily cured.

  I was glad to see a major event like the DLM pushing for quiet planes. A high profile event such as that is what is needed to push the developement of quiet setups, much the way the TOC was the event that pushed the technology for high performance giant scale aerobatics.

  Bob R.