[NSRCA-discussion] Wing Tube

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 18:45:36 AKDT 2007

OK Ron, I guess if I don't tell you Gary will. You guys are cruel. I don't
have many problems and it was kind of embarrassing.
At the EAC contest I landed hot on the first round and did a 180 to taxi
part way back and when I flipped the switch to kill the motor it went to
high throttle and hit the safety fence. Sorry Gary I didn't intend to test
your fence.
The left wing near the tip hit the post and when the tube bent it pushed the
trailing edge into the side of the wood fuselage. The retaining screw pulled
towards the root and tore a 1 1/4" long groove in the top of the phenolic
tube. I always use a leading edge rib to support the outer end of the socket
and the socket was still solid in the foam core wing. Luckily I leave the
tube for my extra airplane in the truck all the time so I was able to repair
the damage and continue with the contest.
The only thing I can figure happened is I must have accidentally hit the
throttle stick when going for the kill switch. A worn throttle ratchet
probably contributed to easy stick movement. I wasn't aware of it until I
was showing a fellow club member what the stiff springs felt like and he
commented that I didn't have a throttle ratchet. I guess we use the throttle
quite a lot. Tony will get it after my flying season is over. It doesn't
bother me to fly without a ratchet but it is probably an unsafe condition.
I qualified for the Scale Masters Finals in Hemet CA. the middle of October.
If I can get both my scale and pattern airplanes and three weeks of luggage
for my wife and I in my F-150 I can probably enter the Sacramento contest on
the way down and Lancaster on the way back. We can kill a few days in
Laughlin or LasVegas on the way to Lancaster. A schedule like this is too
good to pass up.
I planned to build a new pattern airplane this winter with some
modifications so I just did a quickie patch job to finish the season. I am
carrying 6 oz of lead in the tail on this one and I think I have too much
horizontal stab area as well. Darn designers you just can't trust them. At
9-4 the weight is OK but the lead in the tail has too much mass to start and
stop snaps well.
That's my story and I am sticking to it. Gary can give you the rest of the
story.
Ron, I will contact you off line with shipping info.
Jim Hiller