[NSRCA-discussion] Unexpected way to grow pattern

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sat Sep 1 05:51:34 AKDT 2007

There are a group of guys that my son and I fly with a lot. We make a habit of stopping to eat supper, mostly on the way from the club field, but often from flyins that we travel to together. After we eat, we usually head out into an empty part of a parking lot and start flying our foamies. It is amazing the amount of interest of people passing by. We then show them the big planes we have in our vans/trailers. We usually have handouts for upcoming events that we give to them.

  Even if we don't get new club members as a result, I think the people that talk to us walk away with some appreciation for the hobby.

  Bob R.

Lance Van Nostrand <patterndude at tx.rr.com> wrote:
          Get this:  After leaving the field at sundown tonight (after helping a guy maiden a pattern plane) I stopped for some dinner at a "Jason's Deli" and ordered takeout.  While waiting I pulled my plane out onto the sidewalk to check something because I'd left the field in a rush.  The first person that stopped told me her father was a pilot.  Then a kid came up and gawked.  Then a couple teenagers asked "does it really fly?" Then the parents of the kid asked where I fly these things.  Then the counter girl walked out with my sandwich and joined the crowd.  Then, as the questions flew, I proceeded to pull out my equipment and show it to them, answer questions, tell where the LHS was, etc.  All very casual, but unexpectedly cool.

  --Lance