[NSRCA-discussion] Nelson Hobby Paint

Scott Smith js.smith at verizon.net
Sat Sep 1 01:45:32 AKDT 2007

I've done four 2 meter planes with this paint.  As for durability, it is a
VERY tough finish.  (It took me days to sand the finish off a recycled
canopy!)  Use the cross linker and you will not have any problems with fuel.

The weight is very light, but that all depends on the painter.

One thing you can't do is "600 wet sand" the base.  The paint bonds
mechanically and so it needs some 'tooth' to adhere to.  (That info is in
the instructions, do read them!)

Clean up is a breeze and there's no odor while spraying.  The primer works
very well and sands easily once cured (allow a couple days.)

All in all, lot's of advantages.  Only one drawback that I saw.it's a very
dull finish (even with several coats of the clear gloss.)  The paint is so
tough that hand buffing has little affect.

BTY, the paint is repackaged from System Three so more info can be found at
www.systemthree.com (Looks like they just came out with a new high gloss
product!)

  _____