[NSRCA-discussion] Contest Results

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 08:48:04 AKDT 2007

D6 F3A guys have flown P09 for the last 3 meets. The shorter sequence is a lot easier on batteries, 2600 - 2800 gets the job done. The maneuvers flow pretty well and there's plenty of room in the box with reasonable winds. Winds @ 20+ force an increase in roll rate for the 3 rolls reversed. A lack of a cross box maneuver doesn't help in a cross-wind.

Avoiding a hesitation between rolls and loops in the double immelman, as well as not making it too long (and downgrading for same) are issues for pilots and judges. The 1 1/4 down line snap in the stall turn can get nasty and will vary with wind conditions. The roll on top of the double outsides can mess with one with wind (roll flown into the wind) and skew the loop - often the loops aren't the same size.

A couple of things that may not be obvious. No procedure turn needed after take-off, OK - but it just uses time. The center stall turn is OK either direction. If time expires after the last maneuver, but before landing, there's no provision for a penalty. Landing OK the opposite direction of take-off (local safety rules may prevent).

Overall - a pretty easy sequence with no margin for error. Easy to fly, but hard to fly perfect. F09 is a lot more fun and challenge.

Earl